ABOUT MERCHANT MARITIME WARFARE CENTRE
The Merchant Maritime Warfare Centre (MMWC) is a not-for-profit organisation founded in 2009 by a committed group of ex-military maritime and security experts.
Our primary aim is to empower the maritime industry against violent crime and in particular, the increasingly prevalent problem of piracy through the research, development and delivery of comprehensive information, effective non-lethal countermeasures and training.
Strongly advocating existing industry Best Management Practice, MMWC's approach is to augment this initiative with structure and deliver through affordable and relevant training.
MMWC has developed partnerships at all levels of the merchant maritime industry, and is engaged with military and maritime insurance organisations in order to create a recognised authority on merchant maritime security and ultimately a Code of Practice, for merchant maritime security.
One of the most debated subjects in the maritime industry when it comes to piracy is the use of the armed protection.
The aim of MMWC is not to debate this subject further but simply to:
- Arm you with the knowledge to make an informed decision on how best to protect your vessel
- Illustrate and assist you in establishing an effective, non-lethal Layered Defence System
- Cultivate and encourage a legacy workforce in the maritime industry capable of defending themselves against terrorism and piracy through training and knowledge
In doing so, MMWC hopes to:
- Deter piracy from taking place by making it a difficult, unattractive and unsuccessful 'business'
- Increase the awareness of security training and vessel hardening
- Restore safe passage for crews around the world